Smith Named Freshman All-American
Fresno, CA (KFSN) -- Fresno State's Greg Smith, who powered the low post for the Bulldog men's basketball team as a starter in every game, was honored as one of 20 members on the CollegeInsider.com Freshman All-America Team."We asked Greg to step in and play right away," head coach Steve Cleveland said of Smith. "He gives us great size and his ability is very special. He is a great person as well. We are all very excited to continue to raise our level of play and compete for a WAC championship next season."
Smith, a center from Fresno, Calif., is the second Bulldog player in team history to earn the Western Athletic Conference's Freshman of the Year award and also grabbed All-Newcomer Team recognition. In 16 conference games, Smith averaged 11.4 points per contest and 5.8 rebounds per game, while shooting 53.1 percent from the field. The only other Bulldog to be named WAC Freshman of the Year was Tito Maddox for his play during the 2000-01 season.
Smith ranked in the top 12 in the nation in field goal percentage and tied with sophomore wing Paul George for a team-high four double-doubles. He also averaged 12 points and six rebounds per game throughout his first 33-game Division I campaign.
fresno state basketball, fresno state bulldogs, fresno, sports, jason oliveira
- Carstens Fire blamed on unattended campfire
- Sierra Fire near Auberry at 50 percent containment
- Firefighters save home north of Clovis
- Resources stretched thin as fires ignite around the Valley
- Teresa Ceja and Jose Velarde guilty of murder
- Special Olympics torch run through Fresno County
- Summer food programs offer meals to children
- Fresno looks for cost savings after Measure G fails
- FPD seize weapons from gang members
- Car Crashes into a Visalia Chipotle
- Man finds Reedley mother's stolen ashes
- Police identify Central Fresno murder suspect
- Smoke from fires may cause health risks
- Mandela's wife thanks world for 'love, generosity'