Smith Named Freshman All-American
Fresno, CA (KFSN) -- Fresno State's Greg Smith, who powered the low post for the Bulldog men's basketball team as a starter in every game, was honored as one of 20 members on the CollegeInsider.com Freshman All-America Team."We asked Greg to step in and play right away," head coach Steve Cleveland said of Smith. "He gives us great size and his ability is very special. He is a great person as well. We are all very excited to continue to raise our level of play and compete for a WAC championship next season."
Smith, a center from Fresno, Calif., is the second Bulldog player in team history to earn the Western Athletic Conference's Freshman of the Year award and also grabbed All-Newcomer Team recognition. In 16 conference games, Smith averaged 11.4 points per contest and 5.8 rebounds per game, while shooting 53.1 percent from the field. The only other Bulldog to be named WAC Freshman of the Year was Tito Maddox for his play during the 2000-01 season.
Smith ranked in the top 12 in the nation in field goal percentage and tied with sophomore wing Paul George for a team-high four double-doubles. He also averaged 12 points and six rebounds per game throughout his first 33-game Division I campaign.
fresno state basketball, fresno state bulldogs, fresno, sports, jason oliveira
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash 59 min ago
- Man holds out atop roof of San Diego FBI building
- Toddler uses FaceTime to help mom after dog bite
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- New Target store opens in Northwest Fresno
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week