Fresno State vs. Cal in the works for 2011
FRESNO, CA (KFSN) -- It's been almost a decade since Fresno State and Cal have locked horns on the gridiron, a game won by the Bulldogs, 17-3, back in 2000. But according to Cal head coach Jeff Tedford, the rivalry could be renewed sooner than later.
"We're trying to work on a game actually right now for the 2011 season," said Tedford. "So hopefully that comes together. I think it would be a great game. I have great respect for the Fresno State program and with what Pat Hill's done with this program. It'd be a great game for both fans at a remote site so we're working on that right now and hopefully it comes together."
Speaking at a Cal fundraising party in central Fresno Tuesday evening, the former Bulldog quarterback said he's doing what he can to get a game scheduled between his current employers, and his beloved alma mater.
"I love the people here and it will always be near and dear to my heart being in Fresno," Tedford said. "Hopefully we can get this game together and get it done."
And Coach Tedford has the full backing of his athletic director, Sandy Barbour.
"We've been working on it for a couple years," Barbour said. "So it's something that definitely will happen. It's just what particular year that will happen and what time that remains to be seen."
Like most Red Wavers, Barbour sees plenty of positives in a Golden Bear-Bulldog matchup, either in our valley, or in the East Bay.
"I think from the standpoint of playing in the bay area," said Barbour, "we know that they will travel and bring fans to the area. And I think it would be a great college football game."
And that's music to Bulldog fans' ears.
fresno, fresno state bulldogs, sports, david bataller
- Teacher shot at Edison High School in Fresno
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- City of Fresno hiring to help city development
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse
- Murders, car thefts, robberies up in Visalia other crimes down
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford
- Figure skating champ Boitano says he's gay
- Police arrest escaped Merced C.O. Jail inmate
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- New Mexico Supreme Court: Same-sex marriage legal
- Elderly woman critically injured in Fresno house fire
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos