Diamond 'Dogs snubbed by NCAA baseball committee
Fresno, CA (KFSN) -- "We didn't perform the way we're supposed to, the way we're capable of," said Bulldogs First Baseman Jordan Ribera. "And as a result we're not going to a regional. A result of our laziness and I guess expecting to get in."
Ribera summed it up best for the Diamond 'Dogs after Fresno State's bubble burst earlier Monday morning. The Bulldogs will not be making a fifth consecutive trip to the NCAA Baseball Tournament.
"You're not guaranteed anything," Ribera said. "You get what you deserve and apparently we deserved to be watching everyone else play right now. It's a sick feeling but we've got to deal with it."
"It feels weird," said Bulldogs Infielder Danny Muno. [I'm] not used to losing. It definitely hurts down deep and it's not a good feeling."
The biggest knock against the Bulldogs: Mediocre results against quality competition. The Bulldogs' RPI ranked 75th in the country, and their record against teams that made the NCAA field was just 5-9. Four of those wins came against the lone WAC representative, Hawaii.
"Everybody agrees we were about four or five pitches throughout the entire year away from making regionals," said senior Outfielder Steve Detwiler. "That's really all it took."
"You get what you deserve in this game," said Bulldogs Head Coach Mike Batesole. "You always do. there was plenty of games, plenty of innings, plenty of pitches early in the year that we could have handled better."
Coach Batesole is now left to look ahead to next season, when the Bulldogs return the majority of starters from this year's 38-25 squad. But it still doesn't erase the bitter taste, left by this year's NCAA snub.
"I know I won't forget it," Batesole said. "I won't forget what today feels like. And I don't think they will either. This is a tough group, a very talented group that did some good things this year. And 2011 could be one of the best years in Bulldog baseball."
fresno state baseball, fresno state bulldogs, sports, david bataller
- Amber Alert issued for 4 LA-area children
- Missing jet flew for 6+ hours after contact drop
- Merced County marijuana grow lands man in jail 3 min ago
- Visalia shooting sends man to hospital 57 min ago
- 8 kids, 4 adults involved in SW Fresno crash
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder
- Visalia man accused of sexual conduct with boy
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- Man arrested for biting off infant son's nose
- 7 health apps you need to know about
- Good Sports: Clovis High baseball
- Merced County marijuana grow lands man in...
6 min ago
- Chowchilla Western Stampede attracts visitors
30 min ago