Valley resident headed to Cooperstown
Fresno, CA (KFSN) -- Valley resident and former major league umpire Doug Harvey will be inducted into Baseball's Hall of Fame this weekend in Cooperstown.
Harvey was a National League umpire from 1962 to 1992. During that time he called five World Series and six All-Star Games.
His big build and booming voice earned him the nickname "God" from the players.
Harvey's the ninth umpire inducted to the Hall of Fame and the first living umpire headed to Cooperstown since 1999.
Harvey grew up in El Centro, California before retiring to the small town of Springville, just outside of Porterville.
springville, porterville, tulare county, sports
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment
- SoCal nurse in critical condition after stabbing
- Sikh community celebrates Vaisakhi in Caruthers
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- 7,000 Easter eggs rain down from helicopter 13 min ago
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps 42 min ago
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help 36 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- Prizefighter Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart