Valley resident headed to Cooperstown
Fresno, CA (KFSN) -- Valley resident and former major league umpire Doug Harvey will be inducted into Baseball's Hall of Fame this weekend in Cooperstown.
Harvey was a National League umpire from 1962 to 1992. During that time he called five World Series and six All-Star Games.
His big build and booming voice earned him the nickname "God" from the players.
Harvey's the ninth umpire inducted to the Hall of Fame and the first living umpire headed to Cooperstown since 1999.
Harvey grew up in El Centro, California before retiring to the small town of Springville, just outside of Porterville.
springville, porterville, tulare county, sports
- Man found dead with gunshot wounds in Visalia
- Triple stabbing in East Central Fresno
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes 51 min ago
- Visalia Police: Street racer crashes into mattress store
- Fire sprinklers cause flooding at FCOE after small fire
- Sanger police chase ends in crash
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Man killed in rollover crash near Caruthers
- Wyoming gas explosion prompts evacuation of town
- Clashes in east Ukraine leave at least 2 dead
- Activists: Syrian airstrikes in north kill 18
- Scientists locate 19th century steamship in SF Bay
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack
- Man worried 'MURDER' tattoo might hurt his case