Valley resident headed to Cooperstown
Fresno, CA (KFSN) -- Valley resident and former major league umpire Doug Harvey will be inducted into Baseball's Hall of Fame this weekend in Cooperstown.
Harvey was a National League umpire from 1962 to 1992. During that time he called five World Series and six All-Star Games.
His big build and booming voice earned him the nickname "God" from the players.
Harvey's the ninth umpire inducted to the Hall of Fame and the first living umpire headed to Cooperstown since 1999.
Harvey grew up in El Centro, California before retiring to the small town of Springville, just outside of Porterville.
springville, porterville, tulare county, sports
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- New Target store opens in Northwest Fresno
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Lions owner William Clay Ford dies at 88
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo cookies