Valley resident headed to Cooperstown
Fresno, CA (KFSN) -- Valley resident and former major league umpire Doug Harvey will be inducted into Baseball's Hall of Fame this weekend in Cooperstown.
Harvey was a National League umpire from 1962 to 1992. During that time he called five World Series and six All-Star Games.
His big build and booming voice earned him the nickname "God" from the players.
Harvey's the ninth umpire inducted to the Hall of Fame and the first living umpire headed to Cooperstown since 1999.
Harvey grew up in El Centro, California before retiring to the small town of Springville, just outside of Porterville.
springville, porterville, tulare county, sports
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes 80 percent contained
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- The skinny on fitness video games
- Fresno Police open fire on suspect after bike chase
- La Tapatia fire prompts two business to evacuate in Fresno
- Hundreds of UC Merced students receive their degrees
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 winners list
- Photos: Best moments at Billboard Awards 2013
- Firebaugh man kills home invasion suspect with a sword
- Investigators look into Merced house fire
- California Classic Weekend half marathon
- Visalia PD cracks down on underage drinking
- Welty's final commencement at Fresno State
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos