Padres beat Giants, 2 playoff races still in doubt
SAN FRANCISCO -- Heath Bell stopped a Giants rally in the ninth inning and the San Diego Padres beat San Francisco 4-2 Saturday, leaving two NL playoff races in doubt heading into the final day of the season.
Pablo Sandoval hit an RBI single with one out in the ninth, but Bell got pinch-hitter Jose Guillen to ground into a game-ending double play with runners at the corners.
Tim Stauffer gave San Diego another clutch start, and the Padres pulled within one game of the Giants in the NL West. The Padres began the day one game behind Atlanta for the wild card. The Braves hosted Philadelphia.
san diego padres, san francisco giants, sports
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Man dies after being shot in the chest in Parlier
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 37 min ago
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident
- Near drownings on the rise 23 min ago
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- AP: FBI investigates prison company
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- Fresno residents can dispose of old tires for free
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Good Sports: Valley TNTV
58 min ago