Valley standout Matt Garza traded to Cubs
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Chicago Cubs have a tentative trade in place to obtain right-hander former Washington Union standout and Fresno State ace Matt Garza from the Tampa Bay Rays, according to two people familiar with the negotiations.
The Rays would receive outfielder Sam Fuld, minor league outfielder Brandon Guyer and several other prospects for Garza, who would be sent to Chicago along with prospects, the two people told The Associated Press on Friday.
They spoke on condition of anonymity because the trade was not yet final. It is subject to physicals for some players and approval of medical records for others, the two people said.
The 27-year-old Garza pitched a no-hitter against Detroit last season, when he went 15-10 with a 3.91 ERA. He spent his first two major league seasons with the Twins and the last three with the Rays.
Garza has a 42-44 career record with a 3.97 ERA. He beat Boston twice in the 2008 AL championship series to help the Rays advance to their first World Series, where they lost to the Phillies.
Garza would give the Cubs a top-of-the-rotation starter and join a rotation that also includes Carlos Zambrano and Ryan Dempster.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
california state university fresno, fresno state basketball, fresno state bulldogs, sports
- One person killed in Fresno County crash 17 min ago
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight
- Marathon tragedy inspires woman to help save lives
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment
- Photos: Valley families celebrate Easter
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate SoCal hospital attacks
- Sikh community celebrates Vaisakhi in Caruthers
- Grim work for families as more bodies discovered
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- 7,000 Easter eggs rain down from helicopter
- Health Watch: 5 clues to Alzheimer's
- Consumer Reports evaluates top toilet papers