Gus Zernial Remembered in Clovis
CLOVIS, Calif. (KFSN) -- Funeral services are underway Wednesday for the major league outfielder who went on to be an ambassador for the Fresno Grizzlies.
Gus Zernial died last week from complications related to congestive heart failure. He was 87-years-old.
Zernial played professional baseball for 11 years. Friends say he fell in love with the Valley after leaving the majors in 1959 and settling in Clovis.
Zernial is credited for bringing Chukchansi Park to Downtown Fresno.
Gus Zernial's funeral took place late Wednesday morning at Clovis Hills Community Church.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
fresno grizzlies, clovis, fresno county, sports
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno 18 min ago
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- Fresno State to play USC Las Vegas Bowl
- National memorial to be held for Nelson Mandela
- New Jersey restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Avatars helping athletes
- Costly headphone disappoints
- 2 arrested in Tulare Co for allegedly shooting man several times
- 4 displaced after Central Fresno house fire
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Rain could pose threat to Valley orange crops
- Toys for Tots Marathon Weekend 2013
- Low elevation snow catches some off guard