Gus Zernial Remembered in Clovis
CLOVIS, Calif. (KFSN) -- Funeral services are underway Wednesday for the major league outfielder who went on to be an ambassador for the Fresno Grizzlies.
Gus Zernial died last week from complications related to congestive heart failure. He was 87-years-old.
Zernial played professional baseball for 11 years. Friends say he fell in love with the Valley after leaving the majors in 1959 and settling in Clovis.
Zernial is credited for bringing Chukchansi Park to Downtown Fresno.
Gus Zernial's funeral took place late Wednesday morning at Clovis Hills Community Church.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
fresno grizzlies, clovis, fresno county, sports
- Deputies shoot, kill suspect west of Fresno 2 min ago
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Calwa Catholics mark Good Friday with procession
- Health Watch: depressed preschoolers?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos