Gus Zernial Remembered in Clovis
CLOVIS, Calif. (KFSN) -- Funeral services are underway Wednesday for the major league outfielder who went on to be an ambassador for the Fresno Grizzlies.
Gus Zernial died last week from complications related to congestive heart failure. He was 87-years-old.
Zernial played professional baseball for 11 years. Friends say he fell in love with the Valley after leaving the majors in 1959 and settling in Clovis.
Zernial is credited for bringing Chukchansi Park to Downtown Fresno.
Gus Zernial's funeral took place late Wednesday morning at Clovis Hills Community Church.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
fresno grizzlies, clovis, fresno county, sports
- Fresno cop investigated for auto theft, drugs
- Trevor Bishop charged with murder in child death
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Community bands together for Officer Jon Linzey
- Chef Shayna's Irish favorites
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- High court upholds Delta Smelt protection
- Man who woke up inside body bag dies
- Malaysia widens search for missing plane
- Man missing near Shaver Lake found alive and well
- More than 400 guns were seized in SoCal
- Family headed to DC for father's Medal of Honor
- Valley Sikhs speak out on bullying report
- Police fight spike in Tower District crime