Family and friends say goodbye to Gus Zernial
CLOVIS, Calif. (KFSN) -- Former major league slugger Gus Zernial was remembered on Wednesday as a humble man and a man of courage.
Zernial died last week from heart failure. The former Channel 30 sportscaster was 87.
Gus Zernial was a man who put his signature on the game of baseball and this community. Friends and family paid their respects to Zernial at Clovis Hills Community Church.
Tom Sommers recalled, "He said to me, do you think they'll remember me Tom? I said oh Gus, they're gonna remember you partner because we won't let them forget you."
Baseball fans won't forget his 237 home runs or his role in bringing triple-a baseball to Fresno. His friends won't forget his warmth.
Zernial's daughters Lisa Pearlstein and Susan Zernial recalled childhood memories at the ballpark. Zernial said, "I'd see all these people yelling dad's name with a great big smiles on their faces, they liked dad. He was a hero."
Pastor G.L. Johnson was Zernial's high school classmate in Beaumont, Texas. He said, "Though he reached the heights are far as athletics is concerned he never forgot his friends."
Gus Zernial's friends said they were blessed to know him.
Former Cincinnati Reds pitcher Jim Maloney said, "I was just starting in the big leagues and Gus was just finishing so we sat down and he told me a lot of stories about the big leagues and how the life is."
Jack Hannah added, "Of course being a great athlete like he was he could have been arrogant and cocky but he was not. He was a very humble man."
The service ended with one of Gus Zernial's favorite songs "Take me out to the ballgame."
Gus Zernial was buried at Clovis cemetery.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
fresno grizzlies, clovis, fresno county, sports, dale yurong
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher 54 min ago
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- Arrest made in Tulare County officer-involved shooting 22 min ago
- Drop in Valley flu cases
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Tiger Cubs make big debut at Fresno Chaffee Zoo
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Vet saves poisoned dog with vodka
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos