Nevada beats Fresno State 90-80 at WAC tourney
LAS VEGAS -- Malik Story had a career-high 34 points and hit all six of his 3-point attempts, helping Nevada beat Fresno State 90-80 in the first round of the WAC tournament on Wednesday.
Nevada (13-18), the No. 6 seed, built a 19-point lead in the first half before allowing the Bulldogs (14-17) to chip away in the closing minutes. The Wolfpack sealed it with six free throws in the closing minute, earning a spot in the quarterfinals against No. 3 seed New Mexico State on Thursday.
Deonte Burton added 20 points and Dario Hunt 12 for Nevada, which hit 12 3-pointers.
The seventh-seeded Bulldogs, who'll be joining Nevada in the Mountain West Conference in 2012, couldn't stop Story and didn't shoot well until the closing minutes to see their late-developing rally fall short.
Greg Smith had 14 points and 20 rebounds, and Tim Steed added 20 points for Fresno State.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
fresno state basketball, sports
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka 43 min ago
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Man holds out atop roof of San Diego FBI building
- Toddler uses FaceTime to help mom after dog bite
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- New Target store opens in Northwest Fresno
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week