Nevada beats Fresno State 90-80 at WAC tourney
LAS VEGAS -- Malik Story had a career-high 34 points and hit all six of his 3-point attempts, helping Nevada beat Fresno State 90-80 in the first round of the WAC tournament on Wednesday.
Nevada (13-18), the No. 6 seed, built a 19-point lead in the first half before allowing the Bulldogs (14-17) to chip away in the closing minutes. The Wolfpack sealed it with six free throws in the closing minute, earning a spot in the quarterfinals against No. 3 seed New Mexico State on Thursday.
Deonte Burton added 20 points and Dario Hunt 12 for Nevada, which hit 12 3-pointers.
The seventh-seeded Bulldogs, who'll be joining Nevada in the Mountain West Conference in 2012, couldn't stop Story and didn't shoot well until the closing minutes to see their late-developing rally fall short.
Greg Smith had 14 points and 20 rebounds, and Tim Steed added 20 points for Fresno State.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
fresno state basketball, sports
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors 10 min ago
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea 18 min ago
- Public tickets to the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl sold out
- Calif senator: Revenge porn law should include selfies
- Mega Million Winning Numbers
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
11 min ago
- Easy ways to make holiday parties festive
10 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos