Clovis' Zack Follett thriving in uncertain times
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Before the start of his second NFL season, and with an owner's lockout far on the horizon, Detroit Lions linebacker Zack Follett received what turned out to be very good financial advice.
"My agent told me last year to take this thing seriously," Follett told Action News. "And I've kind of planned it to do that. And it's paying off so far."
So while some players hope the NFL and Players Union agree on a new Collective Bargaining Agreement just to collect paychecks, the Clovis high grad and former Cal star insists he actually wouldn't mind a work stoppage.
"I've been a football player my entire life so if this doesn't get done I would have a year to be a normal person, to be honest," said Follett, "and I'm kind of excited about it. That's why I'm definitely not your typical football player, where all I know is X's and O's. I went to Berkeley. I want to do off-field ventures. And this has kind of given me time to that."
So Follett has put his first-hand knowledge of physical fitness to use, and joined forces with a close friend to start a gym in his hometown, with an emphasis in personal training.
"For how much feedback we've got and clientele," said Follett. "We're already looking to expand to and 8,500 square foot location."
And Follett hopes to use the gym as a tool to impact the lives of local athletes looking to follow their dreams. The same way Follett did a decade ago.
"To get trained and come in and train with the pros," said Follett. "A lot of high school kids that want to get college scholarships and go on to the NFL: I just went down that road so I'm here to offer a lot of wisdom for them."NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
sports, david bataller
- Triple stabbing in East Central Fresno
- Fire sprinklers cause flooding at FCOE after small fire 36 min ago
- Sanger police chase ends in crash 37 min ago
- Man killed in rollover crash near Caruthers 37 min ago
- Visalia Police: Street racer crashes into mattress store 36 min ago
- Activists: Syrian airstrikes in north kill 18 3 min ago
- Scientists locate 19th century steamship in SF Bay
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack
- Man worried 'MURDER' tattoo might hurt his case
- Clovis mother writes 'It's Ok, Mama Has Cancer'
- Arraignment postponed in accidental Fresno shooting
- Man killed in rollover crash near Selma
- Massage parlor shutdown after tips of prostitution
- Merced water restrictions a step closer to reality