Madec flattered by Bulldog talk
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- By all accounts, the Fresno City College men's basketball team wrapped up a successful season earlier this month: Another conference championship. A 31-3 record. A trip to the state final four.
"I'm really proud of our kids and our program," said Head Coach Ed Madec. "I'm really proud to be a part of this Fresno City community. People say, 'Gosh you didn't win the state championship. You came up short.' And to be honest with you I feel like a state champion. I feel like a champion because my kids worked like champions."
It's the consistent winning, the yearly accolades earned by coach Madec and his players, that have the five-time CVC Coach of the Year's name churning in the rumor mill, to become the next head coach at Fresno State.
"Well sure I would be very flattered and have a tremendous amount of interest," said Madec. "As far as the rumors, I'm not familiar with that or understand that. But it would be a great honor to represent this community as I do now at Fresno City College."
Some Red Wavers question whether a junior college coach has what it takes to make a successful jump to Division I basketball. Madec understands this.
"But, when you're an athlete and you're in the competitive forum most of your life, we're taught to have a climbing mentality," said Madec. "And always reach for more. I'm extremely at peace with myself and I'm very happy. But I do always keep my options open."
Options: Either getting the chance to prove himself at the Division I level, or returning to FCC and gunning for a second state championship in six seasons. Either way, Madec's track record cannot be ignored.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
fresno state basketball, fresno state bulldogs, california state university fresno, fresno city college, sports, david bataller
- Ryan Rodriquez found safe in Fresno County
- Chief Dyer testifies in excessive force trial 58 min ago
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- Fresno Co. supervisors OK preliminary marijuana ban
- SF Giants pitcher inspired by Batkid to give
- Man shot several times in Central Fresno
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- Ex-Fresno paralegal found guilty of murder
- Uruguay legalizes sale, production of marijuana
- Warming tent setup for homeless in Merced County
- Debate on Fresno's water rate hike gets heated
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos