Grizzlies using speed as weapon in 2011
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Fresno Grizzlies are off to a fast start so far in 2011, but it has nothing to do with their record.
"If it's one of our strengths that's what we're going to exploit," said Manager Steve Decker. "It's a lot of fun to manage when you have speed. But there's an old saying also you can't steal first base so we still gotta get on first base."
After leading the PCL in stolen bases last season, the Grizzlies lead all of minor league baseball in steals this season. Players say they've bought into Decker's aggressive mentality on the base paths.
"We look at our lineup and we've got a pretty athletic team, a team that can run pretty well," said infielder Emmanuel Burriss. "We're just going to push the envelope right along with him. If he wants us to run it's only going to help us."
Burriss is leading the charge so far with 12 steals, including a Fresno record four in one game April 8th.
"We take care of business whatever it is," said Burriss. "Whether it's getting guys in stealing position, getting guys in scoring position, we're just trying to make sure we score runs for our team. We have some guys that can hit. So we figure the more we're on base and the more we get guys in scoring position the better off we're going to be."
Decker says he's seen the Grizzlies' speed on base have a direct correlation to other hitters' success in the lineup.
"Pill hits a home run [as] a byproduct of them worrying about Graham running," said Decker. "Slide-step, throws a high fastball and whammo: Pill hits it out of the ballpark. That can be directly correlated to them worrying about Tyler Graham at first base."
Of course annual changes are sure to come for the Grizzlies. But fans may want to catch this group soon, before they run straight to the big leagues.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
fresno grizzlies, sports, david bataller
- $20 thousand reward for missing Fresno man
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- Ex-Fresno paralegal found guilty of murder 19 min ago
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Lawsuit filed after arrest made in Elbow Room fight
- Debate on Fresno's water rate hike gets heated
- 6 missing people found alive in northern Nevada
- Putin vows to beef up Arctic military presence
- Canada plans claim that would include North Pole
- Juvenile seriously injured in Planada shooting
- Truck driver dies after pinned while making delivery in Fresno
- Fresno auto shops build next Wheels of Hope car
- Experts advise caution after several carbon monoxide leaks
- Freeze affects Valley's $1.5 billion citrus industry