Baseball Bulldogs Set for Stretch Run
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Through the first two months of the season, it seemed like the Fresno State Bulldog baseball team could do no wrong, racing out to a 20-3 record and a Top-10 national ranking.
"It was just having fun," said Infielder Garrett Weber. "We were out there -- we weren't pressing and stuff. We were going out there and beating people with ease."
"If we play like that then we'll be tough to beat," said Outfielder Dusty Robinson. "Everybody doing their job, their exact part for the team. It's gonna be tough to beat us if we do that."
But then the calendar switched to April, and so did the Diamond Dogs' on-field fortunes.
"We got away from our plan a little bit maybe," Robinson said. "We weren't as humble. That happens to a team. You can't go out and win every game. If you could you'd be number one in the nation and win a national championship every year."
Uncharacteristic fielding mistakes and late inning pitching collapses led to a 10-7 month. That's not bad on paper, but not up to Fresno State's standards this season.
"You know everybody hits a funk. We hit ours and it's how you bounce back. You can't dwell on that too much."
"When you start out 20-3 you're not gonna go 40-6, you're not gonna go 60-8," said Head Coach Mike Batesole. "You know the bumps in the road are out there. We know they're out there. We talked about it. We knew they were out there and we hit them."
And now entering the final month of regular season play, the Bulldogs still have their sights set on hosting an NCAA Regional. But it will take another hot streak to catch the NCAA Seeding Committee's eye.
"If the season ended today I'd say no we wouldn't," Coach Batesole said. "But if we go down and get it done next week on the road again and we end up putting ourselves in the position where we do win the league and the tournament now, we're probably be in the position where we have to do both of those, we'll probably be back and have a chance."
For these Diamond Dogs, the road back to Omaha starts Friday night on the road at Louisiana Tech.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
fresno state bulldogs, fresno state baseball, california state university fresno, sports, david bataller
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes burns one home 10 min ago
- Visalia PD cracks down on underage drinking
- Welty's final commencement at Fresno State
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- Get the Winning Numbers for Powerball!
- Tornado-ravaged Texas town to start recovery
- Castaic-area brush fire fully contained
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment
- Pacers knock out Knicks with 106-99 win in Game 6
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- San Jose Sharks fined $100,000 for GM's comments
- Kai murder investigation details revealed
- Dog pack kills nearly 80 animals at campus
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos