Grizzlies looking for lineup consistency
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Stuck in last place in the PCL Pacific South, the Fresno Grizzlies are not only trying to find their groove, they're still trying to find a continuous starting lineup.
"We haven't had the same guys here all the time too," said infielder Edgar Gonzalez. "So it's hard to get comfortable. It's hard to get used to it.
"I know it's hard for the managers, for Deck and now Russ, to make the lineup every day because they don't know who's going to be here and who's not going to be here. Who's going to be hurt and who's not going to be hurt. He's had times that he puts the lineup up and he's had to make a change because somebody's hurt."
46 different players have made an appearance for the Grizzlies this season, remarkable considering the roster only holds 25 at any given time. The lack of continuity in the lineup has produced inconsistency in the standings. But the Grizzlies won't use it as an excuse.
"That's the nature of baseball," said Batting Coach Russ Morman. "It really is. You've seen a lot more early on. But really when you start looking at it and try to space it over a whole year that's kind of how things happen."
Still, veterans like Gonzalez say the sheer number of roster moves this year has stood out.
"I know a lot of the guys are not used to it," Gonzalez said. "Guys are playing positions that they've never played before. So there's a lot of teaching involved and more things going on this year than I think I've ever been a part of. I don't think I've ever been on a AAA team that has gone through as many changes as this one."
But Mormon says it's just something the players will have to fight through if they want to make a run at a division crown, the second half of the season.
"It's something that every team deals with," Morman said. "And we have to deal with it as an organization. For us as coaches it's our job to help prepare these guys to get ready for whenever they have the chance to be a major league player."NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
fresno grizzlies, sports, david bataller
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno 18 min ago
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Fresno teen with cystic fibrosis to get lung transplant
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals 4 min ago
- Free health care enrollment fair held in...
18 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos