Avenal Boxing Champ Returns to the Valley
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Just days after winning the USA Boxing Olympic Trials in Mobile, Alabama, Avenal boxer José Ramirez returned to the Valley Monday, where he received a hero's welcome.
A few dozen supporters showed up Fresno Yosemite International Airport to congratulate Ramirez, who turns 19 later this week.
He won the 132 pound title last Friday, and will now fight at next month's world championships in Azerbaijan. A top 10 finish there and Ramirez will qualify for next summer's Olympic Games in London, a dream Ramirez has had since he began boxing more than 11 years ago.
Ramirez has already had a positive effect on Marisol Lopez, 16, a Stratford native fighting out of the same gym in Avenal. Lopez won the 106-pound division at the Junior Olympics last week, and says Ramirez's recent accomplishments have pushed her to succeed.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
avenal, kings county, sports, jason oliveira
- The Red Wave hits the road
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Police search for suspects who shot a Fresno teacher
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- 2-year-old shot in the thigh in Atwater
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- NorCal teen brain-dead after tonsil surgery
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos