Avenal Boxing Champ Returns to the Valley
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Just days after winning the USA Boxing Olympic Trials in Mobile, Alabama, Avenal boxer José Ramirez returned to the Valley Monday, where he received a hero's welcome.
A few dozen supporters showed up Fresno Yosemite International Airport to congratulate Ramirez, who turns 19 later this week.
He won the 132 pound title last Friday, and will now fight at next month's world championships in Azerbaijan. A top 10 finish there and Ramirez will qualify for next summer's Olympic Games in London, a dream Ramirez has had since he began boxing more than 11 years ago.
Ramirez has already had a positive effect on Marisol Lopez, 16, a Stratford native fighting out of the same gym in Avenal. Lopez won the 106-pound division at the Junior Olympics last week, and says Ramirez's recent accomplishments have pushed her to succeed.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
avenal, kings county, sports, jason oliveira
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal 56 min ago
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week 39 min ago
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals