Boise Coach Petersen shows support for Hill
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Boise State Head Coach Chris Petersen and former Bulldog Head Coach Pat Hill have shared a mutual respect for one another for the past six seasons as head coaches of rival schools. So it's no surprise Petersen was quick to come to Hill's defense after learning of his dismissal.
Petersen's Broncos have thoroughly dominated the rivalry since he took over as head coach in 2006, scoring at least 51 points in each of the last four blowout wins. But Petersen was quick to correct fans who believe a team's success has to do mainly with the coaching. Instead, he said he's lucky to be at a university like Boise State, where he's got the support of not only the administration, but a loyal fan base as well.
"There's no doubt you have to have the right coach but you've gotta have the other things in place," Petersen said. "You've gotta have that administration that is doing everything they can possible do to support you. The financial backing and the fan base, it all works together. "And California, that area has been hit hard. And I know [Hill's] financial situation has been going backwards for the last few years and it makes a difference. There's no question about it. So you feel bad for him because he's a heck of a coach."
pat hill, fresno state bulldogs, fresno state football, fresno state, sports, david bataller
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Growers discuss issues at Citrus Showcase
- Consumer Reports: Beware of tax scams
- Downtown Fresno gas leak prompts evacuations
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash
- Russian power play: Crimea vote on joining Russia
- George Radanovich to announce he won't run for governor
- Business leaders discuss drought impact
- Fresno man pleads guilty to murdering father
- Free dental care to be offered in Fresno