Le Grand Bulldogs heading for state championship
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- On Tuesday the Le Grand and Planada community gathered together to cheer on their hometown heroes.
Parent Mary Key Haas was among the fans.
"For them going to state and as well as they have done has generated so much excitement in both of our communities has brought out the small town pride so even when we go to bigger towns like Merced everyone is talking about it," Haas said.
Earlier that evening, the Bulldogs were busy pushing through a last minute practice.
Senior running back Daniel Guizar says he loves being on the field with this teammates.
"There is nothing better than being out here on Friday night lights. Out here it is beautiful, I love to be out on the field. It's the best feeling in the world, to play high school football," Guizar said.
On Friday the Bulldogs will compete in the CIF state division 4 championship game.
Le Grand is the first Merced County team to play in a state bowl game.
The Bulldogs will play at the Home Depot Center in Carson, the home of the LA Galaxy.
"These kids are going to be quite awestruck when they go into this facility, they will have their own professional style locker room, the will be coming out of a tunnel just as though it were a professional football game," Frank Ferreria, Athletic Director of Le Grand High School, said.
Ferreria says it costs about $10,000 to outfit the team.
Due to recent budget cuts, the school now operates on a third of the budget from five years ago.
"Their uniforms are going on their sixth year so they are pretty tattered, but the parents have stepped up and helped patch and mend things to kind of keep them on," he said.
But Guizar says those tears and tatters won't mean a thing at the state championship.
"Everything goes away, we check it in at the gate and we come on the field and just focus on what we've got to do," he said.
The game will take place on Friday at 4 in the evening.
merced county, legrand, planada, sports, mariana jacob
- Amber Alert issued for 4 LA-area children 52 min ago
- Missing jet flew for 6+ hours after contact drop 55 min ago
- Visalia shooting sends man to hospital 49 min ago
- 8 kids, 4 adults involved in SW Fresno crash
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder
- Visalia man accused of sexual conduct with boy
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- Man arrested for biting off infant son's nose
- 7 health apps you need to know about
- Good Sports: Clovis High baseball
- Chowchilla Western Stampede attracts visitors
22 min ago