Le Grand Bulldogs heading for state championship
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- On Tuesday the Le Grand and Planada community gathered together to cheer on their hometown heroes.
Parent Mary Key Haas was among the fans.
"For them going to state and as well as they have done has generated so much excitement in both of our communities has brought out the small town pride so even when we go to bigger towns like Merced everyone is talking about it," Haas said.
Earlier that evening, the Bulldogs were busy pushing through a last minute practice.
Senior running back Daniel Guizar says he loves being on the field with this teammates.
"There is nothing better than being out here on Friday night lights. Out here it is beautiful, I love to be out on the field. It's the best feeling in the world, to play high school football," Guizar said.
On Friday the Bulldogs will compete in the CIF state division 4 championship game.
Le Grand is the first Merced County team to play in a state bowl game.
The Bulldogs will play at the Home Depot Center in Carson, the home of the LA Galaxy.
"These kids are going to be quite awestruck when they go into this facility, they will have their own professional style locker room, the will be coming out of a tunnel just as though it were a professional football game," Frank Ferreria, Athletic Director of Le Grand High School, said.
Ferreria says it costs about $10,000 to outfit the team.
Due to recent budget cuts, the school now operates on a third of the budget from five years ago.
"Their uniforms are going on their sixth year so they are pretty tattered, but the parents have stepped up and helped patch and mend things to kind of keep them on," he said.
But Guizar says those tears and tatters won't mean a thing at the state championship.
"Everything goes away, we check it in at the gate and we come on the field and just focus on what we've got to do," he said.
The game will take place on Friday at 4 in the evening.
merced county, legrand, planada, sports, mariana jacob
- Teacher shot at Edison High School in Fresno
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- City of Fresno hiring to help city development 28 min ago
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse
- Murders, car thefts, robberies up in Visalia other crimes down
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford
- Figure skating champ Boitano says he's gay
- Police arrest escaped Merced C.O. Jail inmate
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- New Mexico Supreme Court: Same-sex marriage legal
- Elderly woman critically injured in Fresno house fire
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- City of Fresno to hire 8 people to help...
39 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos