State bowl, history await Le Grand
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Le Grand High is one victory away from a State Championship.
On Friday the Bulldogs take on Sierra Canyon of Chatsworth at the Home Depot Center in Carson.
Le Grand is riding a 26-game win streak and is coming off its second straight section title in Division V.
Le Grand is the first team from the Merced area to play in the State Bowl Championship.
The school district made Friday a local holiday in hopes that people from the community will travel to LA to support their only high school football team.
The game will be a battle of undefeated teams, with Le Grand representing Northern California taking on Sierra Canyon of Southern California.
The game kicks off at 4 p.m. Friday at the Home Depot Center in Carson, and the Bulldogs left Thursday to avoid distractions.
Another Valley school will look for high school glory at the Home Depot Center.
Washington Union will take on Campolindo-Moraga in the Division III state championship at noon Saturday.
The Panthers will be the first team from the central section to play for a state title in the six year history of the championship.
They are expected to hold a large rally Friday.
legrand, merced county, sports, tommy tran
- Fresno State defeats Utah State 24-17
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- Highway 41 closed near Tenaya Lodge
- Train hits pedestrian and dog in Central Fresno
- Video: Mountain communities wake up to snow
- Nelson Mandela family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Reindeer escapes from Santa at Colorado mall
- Toys for Tots marathon kicks off at River Park
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting
- Animal shelter seeks donations to keep dogs warm
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Police increase patrols on Fulton Mall after shooting
- Valley utility workers gear up for freezing weather