Good Sports: Willie Dobbs
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The workout pool at a Fresno health club is a place for serious exercise and socializing.
A water aerobics class, that calls itself a "family," is celebrating the 90th birthday of one of its most inspirational members.
Family and friends of Willie Dobbs say she doesn't act her age, but that's a compliment. They gathered in Clovis this week to celebrate her 90th birthday.
Willie is a Fresno mother, grandmother and great grandmother -- and an inspiration to those who love her. The birthday party was organized by her friends in her water aerobics class.
Willie has been working out in the pool at the Northeast Fresno GB3 gym 3 days a week, for 10 years. But Willie actually dove into water aerobics 28 years ago as part of physical therapy after a surgery. Since then, she's had some major operations and says she's bounced back every time because she works hard at staying fit and healthy.
"I've had two knee replacements, I've had a broken femur, I've had a broken hip. I've had surgery on both shoulders and I'm a little old lady that can walk without a walker or a cane," said Dobbs.
This "little old lady," as she calls herself, makes a big splash with everyone she meets. Those who know her well say she's figured out how to stop time.
"It's amazing to me to see that age. I thought, when she told me she's turning 90, I was shocked. 'Oh, I thought you were in your 70's! I would not have guessed 90,'" said water aerobic instructor Alicia Ward.
Willie gladly reveals what's kept her well ahead of the ticking clock. "My secret is my faith, hard work, attitude, and chocolate! ...mixing a little sweetness and sass, and living every day to the fullest"
Willie didn't even start an exercise routine until the age of 62. So she says it's never too late to start.
good sports, fresno, fresno northeast, fresno county, sports, margot kim
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall 1 min ago
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Two of three missing Dinuba children found safe 21 min ago
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95
- Effort to complete Herndon bike trail underway
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Wanted Fresno burglar caught on camera
- Body of missing Delano woman found in canal
- Two injured in Madera drive-by shooting
- American teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- US economy grows at 3.6 percent rate in 3rd quarter
- Foothill residents preparing for freezing temps
- US jobless claims drop to 316,000, as layoffs slow
- Video: Fresno's homeless search for shelter from...
- How outside workers deal with cold temps
59 min ago