Jose Ramirez on his way to Olympic qualification
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Central Valley teenager Jose Ramirez is on the verge of representing the red, white and blue at the Olympics this summer.
The 19-year-old boxer from Avenal is the reigning national champion in the lightweight division, but he needed two wins this week to earn his ticket to London.
Jose Ramirez got the first of those wins Monday with a late knockout in a last-chance qualifying tournament. Wednesday, he'll face a Canadian contender, with his Olympic berth on the line.
avenal, kings county, sports, corin hoggard
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room beating
- Valley experts give advice after Target accounts hacked
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Freeze impacts one Valley farmer's tropical fruit harvest
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford
- City of Fresno hiring to help city development
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse
- Murders, car thefts, robberies up in Visalia other crimes down
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos