Longtime manager Lasorda has 'mild' heart attack
NEW YORK -- Retired Los Angeles Dodgers manager Tom Lasorda was hospitalized after having a "mild" heart attack while in New York for the Major League Baseball draft.
The team said Tuesday that doctors inserted a stent to repair a blocked artery in Lasorda's heart. The 84-year-old Hall of Famer became ill Monday while in town to represent the club at the draft. He was in stable condition and resting comfortably.
"The doctors confirmed I do bleed Dodger Blue. I'm looking forward to being back at the stadium to cheer on the Dodgers," Lasorda's Twitter feed said.
TMZ first reported Lasorda's condition. Lasorda is in his sixth decade working for the Dodgers organization, beginning when the team was still in Brooklyn.
He had a heart attack in June 1996, shortly after managing his final game for the Dodgers, whom he guided to 1,599 career victories. The team won World Series titles in 1981 and 1988, four National League pennants and eight division titles in his 20-year career.
At the 2000 Sydney Olympics, Lasorda managed the U.S. team to a gold medal in baseball.
Last September, in honor of Lasorda's birthday, current Dodgers manager Don Mattingly had Lasorda serve as an honorary coach in a game against San Francisco.
los angeles dodgers, sports
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- The Red Wave hits the road
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Police search for suspects who shot a Fresno teacher
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes 21 min ago
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- Accuweather Forecast
20 min ago
- Fresno State program gets students...
21 min ago
- Work underway on new mural in Downtown Fresno
28 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos