Valley boxer headed to Olympics in London
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Valley boxer is preparing for his Olympic debut. Jose Ramirez of Avenal celebrated with his fans during a fundraising and farewell party Friday night in Northeast Fresno.
The champion amateur boxer will compete in the Olympic Games at the end of next month.
He's currently training six days a week for the event.
"I've been training hard. I've been training twice a day, running everyday. I'm looking forward to it, preparing myself mentally. Hopefully I do my best," Ramirez told Action News.
If Ramirez makes it to the finals in London he will celebrate his 20th birthday there.
london, united kingdom, olympic games, avenal, kings county, sports, rick montanez
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Two of three missing Dinuba children found safe
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95
- Effort to complete Herndon bike trail underway
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Wanted Fresno burglar caught on camera
- Body of missing Delano woman found in canal
- Two injured in Madera drive-by shooting
- American teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- US economy grows at 3.6 percent rate in 3rd quarter
- Foothill residents preparing for freezing temps
- US jobless claims drop to 316,000, as layoffs slow
- Video: Fresno's homeless search for shelter from...