Good Sports: Filipino Stick Fighting
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- It's safe to say most parents shy away from their seven and eight year old children playing with knives and even sticks.
Clovis' Delfina Lucero lights up when talking about her children, eight-year-old Jacob and seven-year-old Joshua.
"I'm very proud of them. We've worked hard with them," Delfina said. "Watching them show interest and having them bring their bags in and saying ok well do you want to compete? Sure."
She and her husband Antonio, teach Filipino Stick Fighting in Clovis, and whatever they're teaching their kids, is working.
This past March, both Jacob and Joshua won four gold medals apiece at the Filipino Martial Arts National Championships in Las Vegas.
The wins mean the boys will represent the United States in the world championships later this month in the Philippines. There the boys will compete in disciplines that include, weapon self-defense, single and double live-stick fighting, and knife fighting.
"Jacob is exceptional because he's very focused on the task at hand. He's a technical fighter," Delfina said. "Joshua is very enthusiastic and he's just a naturally athletic child."
And the boys will be sure to compete with utmost respect and diplomacy, two traits their parents stress both at home and in training.
"They have the opportunity as a young child to go out in the world and to show good sportsmanship and to positively represent their county," Delfina said. "And you don't get that very often."
good sports, sports, david bataller
- Man arrested for death of baby girl at LNAS
- Police investigate deadly Tower District stabbing
- Clovis standoff ends peacefully, suspect in custody 24 min ago
- Three shot, two dead in Merced shooting
- Costco plans new store in Hanford
- Arrest made in Pinedale arson fires
- Police: Released parole violator shot at officers
- New medical center breaks ground in Visalia
- Fresno City Council votes against planned bike lane
- Overseas lotto scams prey on elderly
- Bob Wills home threatened by development
- New bike trail underpass raises deadly crash questions
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse in NW Wash
- 5.7 earthquake strikes northeast of Chico
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos