Good Sports: Filipino Stick Fighting
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- It's safe to say most parents shy away from their seven and eight year old children playing with knives and even sticks.
Clovis' Delfina Lucero lights up when talking about her children, eight-year-old Jacob and seven-year-old Joshua.
"I'm very proud of them. We've worked hard with them," Delfina said. "Watching them show interest and having them bring their bags in and saying ok well do you want to compete? Sure."
She and her husband Antonio, teach Filipino Stick Fighting in Clovis, and whatever they're teaching their kids, is working.
This past March, both Jacob and Joshua won four gold medals apiece at the Filipino Martial Arts National Championships in Las Vegas.
The wins mean the boys will represent the United States in the world championships later this month in the Philippines. There the boys will compete in disciplines that include, weapon self-defense, single and double live-stick fighting, and knife fighting.
"Jacob is exceptional because he's very focused on the task at hand. He's a technical fighter," Delfina said. "Joshua is very enthusiastic and he's just a naturally athletic child."
And the boys will be sure to compete with utmost respect and diplomacy, two traits their parents stress both at home and in training.
"They have the opportunity as a young child to go out in the world and to show good sportsmanship and to positively represent their county," Delfina said. "And you don't get that very often."
good sports, sports, david bataller
- Foothill residents preparing for freezing temps
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Serial college campus sex offender to be released soon
- Toys for Tots warehouse sits empty
- Tips to protect Fido from the freeze
- Freeze threatens unique tropical farm
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- 2 Men accused of firing 40 shots at law enforcement
- Wonder Woman cast for Batman and Superman film
- Autopsy: Walker died from impact, fire in crash
- Bulldog gang members have gun battle with officer
- Fracking: Central Valley boom or nightmare?
- Mexico: Stolen radioactive cobalt box found empty
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades