Good Sports: Filipino Stick Fighting
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- It's safe to say most parents shy away from their seven and eight year old children playing with knives and even sticks.
Clovis' Delfina Lucero lights up when talking about her children, eight-year-old Jacob and seven-year-old Joshua.
"I'm very proud of them. We've worked hard with them," Delfina said. "Watching them show interest and having them bring their bags in and saying ok well do you want to compete? Sure."
She and her husband Antonio, teach Filipino Stick Fighting in Clovis, and whatever they're teaching their kids, is working.
This past March, both Jacob and Joshua won four gold medals apiece at the Filipino Martial Arts National Championships in Las Vegas.
The wins mean the boys will represent the United States in the world championships later this month in the Philippines. There the boys will compete in disciplines that include, weapon self-defense, single and double live-stick fighting, and knife fighting.
"Jacob is exceptional because he's very focused on the task at hand. He's a technical fighter," Delfina said. "Joshua is very enthusiastic and he's just a naturally athletic child."
And the boys will be sure to compete with utmost respect and diplomacy, two traits their parents stress both at home and in training.
"They have the opportunity as a young child to go out in the world and to show good sportsmanship and to positively represent their county," Delfina said. "And you don't get that very often."
good sports, sports, david bataller
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Job seekers interview for the world's...
- VIRAL VIDEO: Kids try to use a Walkman
- Police say 5 dead in Calgary stabbings 55 min ago
- Combat vehicles in east Ukraine fly Russian flag
- China's growth slows to 7.4 percent in 1Q 47 min ago
- Bank of America posts loss, hurt by legal expenses 41 min ago
- Riverdale man is the newest lottery millionaire
- Woman says Covered California "saved her life"
- Action News talks with Mrs. California
- Disaster relief for cattle ranchers
- 1 week left in 100 Day Challenge
19 min ago