Olympian Jose Ramirez back in the Valley
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Avenal native and boxing Olympian Jose Ramirez is back in the Central Valley.
Ramirez arrived at Fresno Yosemite International Airport to cheers from friends and family. They sang happy birthday to him because he recently turned 20.
Ramirez comes back home after competing in the lightweight division , losing in the round of 16. He's already enjoyed a ton of endorsements from the likes of McDonald's that's reportedly around $1 million.
So perhaps it's no surprise what the pride of Avenal told us what he plans on doing after participating in these Olympic Games: "Most likely I'm going to go professional. I'm going to step up to a pro career and we'll see where that takes me. I know it's going to be exciting. I know a lot of companies have been looking at me for a long, long time. And now they're excited to know that I'm going to turn pro. And I just have to be careful and stay focused and continue having that faith, working hard and hopefully you know I'll go and become a world champion," he said.
fresno, fresno central, fresno county, fresno-yosemite international airport, 2012 olympic games, olympic games, sports, tommy tran
- Authorities probe murder outside Merced apartment
- Teenage boy shot and killed in Tulare
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy
- Amber Alert issued for 4 LA-area children
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Fresno State women win Mountain West title
- Car wash held to help family of murdered coach
- Visalia shooting sends man to hospital
- Man arrested after Hanford drug and weapons bust
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Mendota PD seeks arsonist after patrol car torched
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Photos of David Brenner through the years