Fresno State defeats Weber State in season opener 37-10
FRESNO, Calif. -- Derek Carr threw for 298 yards and two touchdowns and Robbie Rouse rushed for 123 yards and two scores as Fresno State defeated Weber State 37-10 on Saturday night in the season opener for both teams.
Both of Rouse's touchdowns came in the first half as the Bulldogs built a 24-3 lead at intermission. Carr hit Davante Adams for TDs of 27 and 38 yards as Fresno State won in its first game as a member of the Mountain West Conference and Tim DeRuyter's debut as coach.
Adams finished with 118 yards on seven catches.
Weber State, an FCS school, had even more coaching turnover in the offseason. Ron McBride retired and was replaced by John L. Smith, but he departed in the spring for the Arkansas interim job. Defensive coordinator Jody Sears was made interim coach.
Mike Hoke threw for 202 yards and a 36-yard TD to Shaydon Kehano that made the score 24-10 in the third quarter, but that's as close as the Wildcats got. Weber State was held to 67 rushing yards on 29 attempts.
Carr completed 20 of 25 passes and guided a Bulldogs offense that outgained Weber State 515-274.
fresno state bulldogs, fresno state football, sports
- Ryan Rodriquez found safe in Fresno County
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2
- Chief Dyer testifies in excessive force trial
- Merced Co. District Attorney Warns of IRS Phone Scam
- Grieving Merced husband and father talks to ABC30
- 3 rescued from Fresno apartment fire
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- Farmers markets hit by freeze
- Fresno Co. supervisors OK preliminary marijuana ban
- SF Giants pitcher inspired by Batkid to give
- Man shot several times in Central Fresno
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- Ex-Fresno paralegal found guilty of murder
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos