'Dogs learn lessons from Oregon loss
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- It was a tale of two halves at Eugene last Saturday: Terrible at first, but promising at the end. The Bulldogs say they learned quickly what kind of a football team they have this season.
"We moved the ball well between the 20's but we've got to finish better," said head coach Tim DeRuyter. "We didn't get 7's. And when you're trading 3's for 7's you can't beat a team like Oregon. You've got to match them 7's for 7's."
"It's like two different sides of a coin," said senior linebacker Shawn Plummer. "You want to go back and play that first half again but you can't, you know?"
The biggest strides were made on defense, where Fresno State gave up only seven second half points, after surrendering 35 in a wild opening frame.
"The biggest change was that I think our guys played with confidence the second half," said Coach DeRuyter. "I think they realized they're a talented team, they're very fast, but they're football players too."
"Our feet got wet now and we don't have that wide-eyed look in the first half anymore," said Plummer. "I don't see it happening again the rest of the season."
And now the Bulldogs face a matchup with Colorado, another Pac-12 team, but fresh off an embarrassing loss at home to FCS school Sacramento State. Fresno State is favored by 14.5 points, but Coach DeRuyter doesn't know why.
"I don't know what they're talking about," said DeRuyter. "We're playing a team that has a ton more highly recruited players, higher ranked guys. I don't know if we have a scholarship guy on our team that was offered a scholarship by Colorado."
Meaning Coach DeRuyter expects his men to come in with a chip on their shoulders, ready for a battle. Kickoff is set for 5:00 pm Saturday at Bulldog Stadium.
fresno state, fresno state bulldogs, fresno state football, sports, david bataller
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes burns one home 14 min ago
- Visalia PD cracks down on underage drinking
- Welty's final commencement at Fresno State
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- Get the Winning Numbers for Powerball!
- Tornado-ravaged Texas town to start recovery
- Castaic-area brush fire fully contained
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment
- Pacers knock out Knicks with 106-99 win in Game 6
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- San Jose Sharks fined $100,000 for GM's comments
- Kai murder investigation details revealed
- Dog pack kills nearly 80 animals at campus
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos