Keeping momentum a key for Fresno State
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- As big of a win as Saturday's 69-14 demolition of Colorado was for Fresno State, senior Phillip Thomas -- he of the three interceptions and two touchdowns -- actually pointed to the second half against Oregon as an early turning point.
"It has us motivated," said Thomas, a Bakersfield native. "It has us on the rise and going into games with confidence, just to build off what we've done. But I feel like we're always confident in the way we play and in our abilities, in what we can and can't do."
Competing against a top-five team seemed to help the Bulldogs put the pedal to metal, and keep it there. Fresno State posted a Mountain West record 55 points in the first half, and 665 yards of offense in the game.
"We can be a dominant team by the way we play and by the way we practice," said Thomas. "We know we can be dominant and just to go out there and show it, it kind of shocked me a little bit too. And then it's like I expect it so let's keep pouring it on them. Let's keep going then."
Now Fresno State will look to keep it going against Tulsa, who comes into Saturday's home game with a 2-1 record, and an up tempo offense averaging 45 points per contest.
"We realize this is going to be a great test" said Bulldogs head coach Tim DeRuyter. "They've been running this system for a while now. This is Coach Blankenship's second year. He was on the previous staff and then got elevated. He's taken it step by step to where there hasn't been a big transition.
"These guys are going to be very difficult to stop as evidenced by what they've done so far."
Kickoff for the Bulldogs' final non-conference game of the season is set for Saturday at 5:00 pm Pacific, at Chapman Stadium in Tulsa.
fresno state bulldogs, fresno state football, tim deruyter, sports, david bataller
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- 10 more bodies found inside sunken ferry by divers
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies 6 min ago
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Credit card skimming device found at gas station
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Singer Juan Gabriel released from Vegas hospital
- Easter Brunch recipe
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos