Fresno State looks to win first road game this season
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Fresno State Bulldogs will be looking to win their first road game of the season. But to do that they'll have to beat a Colorado State team -- that's led by a familiar face in Jim McElwain.
Fresno State will hope the third time is the charm when they visit the Rams in Fort Collins Saturday night. The 'Dogs are 0-2 on the road this year with losses to Oregon and Tulsa.
At practice this week, players know what's at stake.
"It's going to take a full team effort. Offense, defense, special teams to get the job done on the road. Because on the road it's different than playing at home you know. It's just you against everybody so we've really got to come out strong against Colorado St. said Bulldogs Defensive Back Derron Smith
Smith had an interception in last week's win against the Aztecs on homecoming. Fresno State now goes into Saturday's game leading the nation in takeaways with 16.
"This whole time we've known that we have a capability to do great things in this defense." added Smith.
The offense has been explosive at home and inconsistent on the road. Senior running back Robbie Rouse expects that to change against the Rams.
"You know we just haven't finished. Against Oregon we started slow, finished up fast in the half and Tulsa it was the other way around. So we've just trying to continue to put four quarters a game. Even the games we've won we still didn't play four quarters. So that's just something we're working towards and that starts with practice and that's what we've been doing." said Rouse.
Colorado State will feature a backup quarterback in that is now the starter indefinitely.
MJ McPeek replaced Garrett Grayson on the road at Air Force and played well -- throwing two touchdowns in the loss to the Falcons.
'Dogs head coach Tim Deruyter gave us some insight into McPeeks game.
"He's a veteran quarterback, 5th year senior. Seems very poised. Came in didn't really skip a beat. The offense seemed to stay the same and we expect a good game from him." added DeRuyter.
fresno state bulldogs, fresno state football, sports, tommy tran
- Pedestrian killed in HWY 99 hit and run in Fresno 4 min ago
- Massage parlor shutdown after tips of prostitution
- Man killed in rollover crash near Selma
- Tentative order in fight over Fresno water rate hikes
- HS rumor played role in Dinuba sexual battery case
- Fresno man gets prison in fatal hit-and-run crash
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- New effort to honor Hmong veterans
- Counting down to the Clovis Rodeo
- Fresno Co won't change Williamson Act tax standards
- Firefighters preparing for fire season at Lost Lake Park
- Suspect injures Fresno Police dog, officers say
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Porterville prepares for Iris Festival
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos