FPU Sunbirds fall to Hawaii in close match
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Sunbirds gave PacWest volleyball power BYU-Hawaii all it could handle on Tuesday night, falling in an exciting five sets in a battle between the league's top teams.
FPU (19-2, 11-1 PacWest) became the first PacWest team all season to take a set from the Seasiders (19-2, 14-0 PacWest) with an overwhelming 25-12 win in set one. The Sunbirds led 2-1 after three sets, but the Seasiders would battle back to take sets four and five. FPU led 10-6 during the fifth set, but BYU-Hawaii would close it out on a 9-2 run.
The Seasiders, led by Shih Ting Chen's 18 kills, have now won 18 straight matches. The Sunbirds got a phenomenal defensive performance from freshman libero Hannah Butler, who finished with 30 digs. Rupia Inck led all players with 23 kills.
It was senior night for three FPU seniors: Erica Adachi, Emily Carroll and Kailey Allen.
FPU plays at third-place California Baptist this Friday in Riverside.
fresno pacific university sunbirds, sports, tommy tran
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno
- Driver kills 2, injures 23 at SXSW festival, police say
- Searchers scour rubble after gas explosion kills 7
- Golden Gate Bridge survivor speaks at Fresno State 40 min ago
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Undercover: CPD stopping alcohol sales to minors
- Fresno police connect vintage car thefts to guns, gangs
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings
- Photos: Incredible images from Colorado car chase
- Almond crop expected to take a massive hit
- Honey oil explosion ends with felony arrest
- Enforcing water restrictions in Madera County and City
- Requests to carry concealed guns surges in Calif.