Dogs finish kickoff classic with win
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Mission accomplished for the Fresno State softball team, playing with a new coach and a revamped roster, but still finding a way to beat Sacramento State Sunday afternoon.
A lot of the credit goes to freshman right hander Jillian Compton. She got out of a jam in the first inning by coaxing a soft fly ball to second. Compton pitched a complete game seven-hitter, with a strikeout, for the win.
Her teammates meanwhile threatened in the first inning. Brenna Moss stole another base after drawing a leadoff walk, her fifth steal already this season. Then Stesha Brazil reached base on the infield single to the pitcher to load the bases. But Vonnie Martin would ground out two short to end the inning.
Failing to score there wouldn't matter, as the Bulldogs hang on for the 3-2 win over the Hornets. Fresno State improves to 4-1 overall this young season, and are back home against Cal State Northridge on Wednesday.
fresno, fresno county, fresno state, sports, david bataller
- Fresno State defeats Utah State 24-17
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- Highway 41 closed near Tenaya Lodge
- Train hits pedestrian and dog in Central Fresno
- Video: Mountain communities wake up to snow
- Nelson Mandela family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Reindeer escapes from Santa at Colorado mall
- Toys for Tots marathon kicks off at River Park
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting
- Animal shelter seeks donations to keep dogs warm
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Police increase patrols on Fulton Mall after shooting
- Valley utility workers gear up for freezing weather