CIF basketball playoffs are underway in Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Coming into the CIF central section girls' basketball playoffs - Clovis West - odd considering the team was in the second seed.
Craig Campbell, Clovis West girls' basketball coach said, "I think some people saw us in December and we were a little ragged doing some things, and [people] assessed us by December. Our girls keep working and getting better."
A seeding controversy involving the teams above and below the Golden Eagles took the focus away from Coach Campbell and company. But Tuesday's 57-39 win over two-time defending champions Hanford spoke volumes.
"We have nothing but respect for Hanford so we knew it would be a battle. We didn't think it would be the way it was. Our kids just executed perfectly," Campbell said.
Portia Neale, Clovis West guard said, "We were just really prepared. We practiced, we went through the motions, and we just perfected everything we needed to."
They've been almost perfect for quite some time now. The Golden Eagles have only lost once since Christmas and have beaten every central section team they have played this season.
"We just go every day to practice wanting to work. Every day's like a great experience. We just want to work hard. We want to get there, we have that drive," one player said.
Briana Watts, Clovis West Center said, "We all play as a team. We love each other. We're like a family and I'm glad I came here."
Now, only top-seeded Stockdale stands in the way of Clovis West's fourth valley title. In seven years, the team they beat in the finals all three times: you guessed it: Stockdale.
The Golden Eagles will battle Stockdale Saturday night at 6 p.m. in downtown Fresno.
sports, david bataller
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Two of three missing Dinuba children found safe
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Wanted Fresno burglar caught on camera
- Body of missing Delano woman found in canal
- Two injured in Madera drive-by shooting
- American teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- US economy grows at 3.6 percent rate in 3rd quarter
- Foothill residents preparing for freezing temps
- US jobless claims drop to 316,000, as layoffs slow
- Video: Fresno's homeless search for shelter from...
- Serial college campus sex offender to be released soon