Meet 'Dogs New DB's Coach David Brown
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Local legend Tim McDonald left the Fresno State coaching staff for the NFL just one year after taking over as secondary coach. And with less than a month before spring ball, in comes David Brown who was the head coach at Missouri S & T. He tells Action News the process of him being hired happened quickly.
"I worked with Coach Germano at Ohio University. Gave me a heads up that this could be happening. Asked me if I'd be interested and then it snow balled after that." said David Brown.
Brown's task is not an easy one. Duplicate what Coach McDonald did with the secondary and produce impact players like ex-Bulldog All-American Phillip Thomas. The former Cal Poly Mustang says the scheme will not change, but the approach probably will.
"For me just fitting in, and coaching style wise obviously I'm a different person. Just making sure that I'm coaching up the guys and getting them to be the best that they can be. Hopefully the outcome will be the same. Everyone has their own personality as a coach, so we do things different that way, but we all want the same outcome." added Brown.
David Brown's immediate supervisor is 'Dogs defensive coordinator Nick Toth who is excited to have Brown on board.
"Coach Brown's awesome. He's a great teacher much like coach McDonald was. Technician. Highly intellectual kind of guy. He's seen a lot of different levels of football. So he's had to teach a lot of different levels you know, so he's had to get through to different guys. And that's huge." said Toth.
Toth says the biggest thing is that David Brown wants to be part of the Red Wave and be at Fresno State long term. And as one of the newest 'Dogs in the house, coach Brown gave us a scouting report on his crew.
"Definitely athletic group. They work hard. Having a really good experience makes it a lot easier for a new coach so some of the younger guys can really bring them along, but having the veterans out there definitely helps. But athletic group and looking forward to working with them. " said Brown.
And here's a quick bio blast on David Brown. He spent the past three seasons at Missouri S & T and led the Miners to a 19-14 record. But he went 10-1 in 2012. Those ten wins were tied for the most in school history and earned Missouri S & T national ranking at 24 to end the season. Brown is an LA native so he can help with recruiting and he played for Cal Poly from 2001-2005.
fresno state bulldogs, fresno state football, sports, tommy tran
- Foothill residents preparing for freezing temps
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Serial college campus sex offender to be released soon
- Toys for Tots warehouse sits empty
- Tips to protect Fido from the freeze
- Freeze threatens unique tropical farm
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- 2 Men accused of firing 40 shots at law enforcement
- Wonder Woman cast for Batman and Superman film
- Autopsy: Walker died from impact, fire in crash
- Bulldog gang members have gun battle with officer
- Fracking: Central Valley boom or nightmare?
- Mexico: Stolen radioactive cobalt box found empty
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades