'Dogs Defense Looks For Repeat Performance in 2013
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- There's a sense of stability for spring football in 2013 at Fresno State. Unlike 2012, this year's coaching staff is far less stressed. They say they're ready to implement even more philosophical ideas and instruct more technique to the players.
"It's fun seeing these guys after having a whole year with them come out. A year ago, there was so much apprehension. Naturally, these guys were seeing a huge change in systems and their comfort level was so low they didn't know what to expect. Now I think they know the expectations. We're getting to coach a little bit more what we want to be coaching now." said 'Dogs Defensive Coordinator Nick Toth.
The Fresno State defense led the Conference in practically every statistical category last season.
The secondary returns three of its four starters with Derron Smith, Sean Alston, and L.J. Jones. So there's depth and experience for a repeat performance in 2013.
"I feel like I need to be better overall. Just come out and compete with my teammates and make sure that they're doing the right thing. Right now I'm the only senior in the defensive back room, there's a lot on my shoulders but I'm willing to step up and take the initiative and step up to better myself and better my teammates." said Jones.
Even though the 'Dogs are returning a number of key players. They've also lost a few, like ex-Bulldog All-American Phillip Thomas. But Defensive Coordinator Nick Toth told us who he expects will be future impact players.
"I think we have some upper classmen. Andy Jennings is a guy on the D-Line we expect to be the guy. Tyeler Davidson. I think those two guys we expect to be very special football players. We expect all those inside linebackers between, you talked about Patrick Su'a when he comes back from his injury. But he and Jeremiah Toma. We expect those guys to make plays."
And they'll need to make those plays to create an encore performance that matches that aggressive defense and what it accomplished last year.
sports, tommy tran
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate 36 min ago
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- Fresno cop investigated for auto theft, drugs
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Trevor Bishop charged with murder in child death
- Community bands together for Officer Jon Linzey
- Chef Shayna's Irish favorites
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- High court upholds Delta Smelt protection
- Man who woke up inside body bag dies
- Malaysia widens search for missing plane
- Man missing near Shaver Lake found alive and well
- More than 400 guns were seized in SoCal
- Family headed to DC for father's Medal of Honor