Diamond Roundup: 'Dogs Softball Wins, Baseball Loses
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- After Saturday's heartbreaking 1-0 loss to sixth-ranked Cal, a loss in which Fresno State only gave up one hit, the Bulldogs bounced back Sunday in their Fresno State Classic finale against St. Mary's.
Sporting red jerseys, they tool on Head Coach Trisha Ford's alma mater, and got started quickly. Brenna Moss hit a laser that went over the right fielder's head for a triple. But St. Mary's doesn't call time for a conference, so an alert Moss took off for home and scored.
Later in the inning Vonnie Martin hit a check swing bloop single to right center, scoring Stesha Brazil to make it 2-0 Fresno State.
Kapri Angotti followed with another single to the same spot, and it was just as effective as the first. Michelle Solomon and Martin scored to make it 4-0 at that point, and the Bulldogs cruised to the 8-0 shutout win. Fresno State is now 15-11 overall this season.
But the Bulldog baseball team is still struggling on the road. They got swept in their four game series at Cal, the last loss was Sunday's 8-4 result. The Diamond Dogs open Mountain West play against San Diego State on Friday.
fresno, fresno county, fresno state baseball, sports, david bataller
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia 46 min ago
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- 2.8-magnitude earthquake hits Coalinga area
- Authorities probe murder outside Merced apartment
- Clovis sting busts adults buying alcohol for minors 59 min ago
- Teenage boy shot and killed in Tulare
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy
- Magnitude-6.7 quake hits Chile's northern coast
- Church services remember those lost in NYC blast
- Gut bacteria: The secret weapon to weight loss?
- Car wash held to help family of murdered coach
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over California
- Fresno State women win Mountain West title
- 2014 'Bowl for Kids' Sake' held in North Fresno