Special Olympics torch run through Fresno County
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Several officers and sheriff's deputies came together to escort the torch for the Special Olympics through Fresno County on Monday.
More than a dozen law enforcement personnel helped carry the "Flame of Hope" the 14 miles from Chukchansi Park to Children's Hospital Central California. Some athletes competing in the games also ran as part of the escort.
Upon finishing the Fresno leg of the torch run, The 500 Club presented the group with a check for $5,000. Participants say the donations go a long way throughout the year to help an athlete make it to the games.
"It takes about $250 to sponsor an athlete for the year and we raised about ten thousand dollars county wide for the athletes," said Freddie Henson, Fresno County Sheriff's Office.
The torch will be escorted to Merced on Tuesday before ending at U.C. Davis. The Special Olympics will open June 28th at Aggie Stadium and will run through June 30th.
fresno, fresno county, fresno downtown, madera county, sports
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors 14 min ago
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea 22 min ago
- Public tickets to the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl sold out
- Calif senator: Revenge porn law should include selfies
- Mega Million Winning Numbers
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
15 min ago
- Easy ways to make holiday parties festive
14 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos