Special Olympics torch run through Fresno County
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Several officers and sheriff's deputies came together to escort the torch for the Special Olympics through Fresno County on Monday.
More than a dozen law enforcement personnel helped carry the "Flame of Hope" the 14 miles from Chukchansi Park to Children's Hospital Central California. Some athletes competing in the games also ran as part of the escort.
Upon finishing the Fresno leg of the torch run, The 500 Club presented the group with a check for $5,000. Participants say the donations go a long way throughout the year to help an athlete make it to the games.
"It takes about $250 to sponsor an athlete for the year and we raised about ten thousand dollars county wide for the athletes," said Freddie Henson, Fresno County Sheriff's Office.
The torch will be escorted to Merced on Tuesday before ending at U.C. Davis. The Special Olympics will open June 28th at Aggie Stadium and will run through June 30th.
fresno, fresno county, fresno downtown, madera county, sports
- Deputy-involved shooting in Tulare County
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy 38 min ago
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Marketplace at El Paseo holds grand opening
- PlayStation 4's faulty parental controls
- Hip surgery complication: Uneven limbs
- Video: Take a tour of the 'smartphone home'
- Photos: Pictures from Malaysia Airlines incident