ABC News: Arrest warrant issued for Patriots Aaron Hernandez
NORTH ATTLEBOROUGH, Mass. - June 21, 2013 -- ABC News is citing sources as saying an arrest warrant has been issued for star football player Aaron Hernandez.
The New England Patriots tight end is expected to be charged in connection with the shooting death of a semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd, 27, who was Hernandez's friend.
The investigator and other law enforcement sources tell ABC News that the security system - which included video surveillance - was smashed intentionally. In addition, a cell phone used by Hernandez was handed over to investigators "in pieces'' by his attorneys, the sources said.
Sources tell ABC News that police also want to know why a team of house cleaners were hired on Monday to scrub Hernandez's mansion.
The warrant has allegedly been issued on a charge of obstruction of justice.
State and local police spent hours at Hernandez's home on Tuesday night as another group of officers searched an industrial park about a mile away where Lloyd's body was discovered the day before.
Several law enforcement sources tell ABC News that police believe Lloyd was killed between 1 a.m. and 6 a.m. Monday, shot in the back of the head in a scrubby clearing of the industrial park. His well dressed body was not found until 5:30 p.m. Monday by a teenage jogger.
Sports Illustrated reported that the link between Hernandez and the case was a rented Chevrolet Suburban with Rhode Island plates that police had been searching for. The Sun Chronicle of Attleboro, Mass., said the SUV was registered to Enterprise and investigators wanted to analyze it for fingerprints.
Information from the Associated Press was used in this article.
massachusetts, new england patriots, sports
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals