Fresno State ranked 17th in first Bowl Championship Series poll
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno State has moved up to number 15 in the AP top 25 poll and number 18 in the USA Today coach's poll. The Fresno State football team also came in at number 17 in the first Bowl Championship Series poll released Sunday.
That's because as a non-automatic qualifier, the bulldogs are currently one spot shy of where they need to be at the end of the season in order to land an automatic BCS bid. That's because if an automatic qualifying conference champion does not finish better than 16th in the BCS, the bulldogs don't have to reach number 12 to make it in. American Athletic Conference leader Louisville is currently ranked 20 in the BCS.
Obviously there's a long way to go in the season, but Action News asked a couple of Bulldog legends for their thoughts on how Fresno State could crack the BCS.
"All they've got to do is keep doing what they're doing," said former Bulldog Wide Receiver Stephone Paige. "Every week take care of one team at a time. And at the end of the season I think we'll get a bid. I believe that we'll get a really good bowl bid and we'll have a chance to play in one of the big bowl games."
"If the American Athletic Conference champion is ranked lower than Fresno State, Fresno State gets a BCS game if they're able to go undefeated," said former Bulldog Safety Cameron Worrell. "So all they have to do is continue this undefeated season, win that Mountain West championship game, and hopefully everything will take care of itself."
fresno state, fresno state bulldogs, fresno state football, sports, david bataller
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals