Fresno State Stays Focused Ahead of Road Trip to Wyoming
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- With the Fresno State football Bulldogs continuing along the path to a perfect season, Head Coach Tim DeRuyter repeated that his team is not worried about rankings, and won't be until the appropriate time.
"We have zero control over that," said Coach DeRuyter. "That's all up to somebody else. All we have control over is how we prepare how hard we play on Saturday, and do we execute well enough to go 1-0. I'm fully confident that if we do that, everything will take care of itself."
After allowing a touchdown by Clovis West Grad Kendall Brock on Nevada's first drive of the game, the Bulldogs dug deep in their bag of tricks on their first offensive play. Perhaps it's a sign of what's to come down the stretch for the Bulldogs.
"To get it and then just get back on the ball right away, and score a couple plays later, I think it got energy back in the stadium and back in our team," said DeRuyter. "I thought we responded really well after that, and I think our defense had three 3-and-outs after that."
"It's fun to start it out," admitted Quarterback Derek Carr. "I thought it was great for the fans. They loved it. As soon as Burse was throwing the ball to me I heard everyone going nuts, so I knew 'Harp' must have been open. So I just threw it."
And now Fresno State will try to bottle up the momentum from their rivalry game win over Nevada, and take it on the road to Laramie, Wyoming, a place Fresno State has never won in four trips.
"Those teams aren't this team," said DeRuyter. "I'll mention it to our players that it's part of the challenge because it's a tough place to go win a ball game."
"We know it's going to be cold," said Carr. "We know it's at altitude. And when you know what their point of difference is, when you know what the enemy has, it makes it a lot easier."
Kickoff at War Memorial Stadium is set for 7:15pm Pacific, and will be shown nationally on ESPN2.
fresno state, fresno state bulldogs, fresno state football, tim deruyter, sports, david bataller
- SW Fresno crash leaves multiple people injured
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- Fresno cop investigated for auto theft, drugs
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Trevor Bishop charged with murder in child death
- Community bands together for Officer Jon Linzey
- Chef Shayna's Irish favorites
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- High court upholds Delta Smelt protection
- Man who woke up inside body bag dies
- Malaysia widens search for missing plane
- Man missing near Shaver Lake found alive and well
- John Hancock observatory in Chicago to Tilt