1989 Bulldogs recall near perfect season
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Fresno State football team is off to an 8-0 start for the first time since 1989. Coach Tim DeRuyter's team could learn something from that 1989 team. The Bulldogs actually started that season 10-0 but then they lost their focus for one game.
Chicago Title county manager Mark Barsotti has always had his eye on huge chunks of real estate.
On December 9, 1989 the then Bulldog quarterback connected with Stephen Shelley for a 91 yard score in the California Raisin Bowl. Fresno State beat Ball State 27-6 to end one of the best seasons in school history 11-1, but that's not what Mark remembers most.
Barsotti said, "The first thing that I think of when you say 1989, how about that season, is losing that one game to New Mexico. You talk about kind of letting your guard down"
The Bulldogs took a 10-0 record into Alburquerque - only to lose 45-22.
Sanger High athletic director Jesse Hardwick was an offensive lineman on that team. Hardwick recalled, "Having that journey of staying undefeated was always in the back of your mind. We had the one hiccup on week 11 that overshadowed a little bit of the whole season."
The '89 team featured future NFL players like JD Williams, Ron Cox, Aaron Craver and Marquez Pope.
With Bulldog football drawing so much national attention this year, former players like Barsotti are getting random requests.
Mark said, "I get this letter from this guy from Cannon, Georgia, just came in the other day just because I think it was on ESPN. He sends me my old playing card and says will you sign it?"
Hardwick and Barsotti believe the Bulldogs can do what they couldn't and go undefeated. Hardwick said, "The planets have to align right sometimes for you to get there."
Barsotti added, "You've got to be mentally prepared because in those situations you're taking everybody's best shot."
Bringing up the New Mexico loss still hurts members of the 1989 team. But Barsotti and Hardwick are fired up over this year's squad. Both wore black at Saturday's game vs. Nevada.
fresno state, fresno state football, fresno state bulldogs, sports, dale yurong
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested 49 min ago
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Bloody suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000
- Drought intensifying pest problems on farms 34 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton expecting 1st child
- Texas seizes polygamist group's secluded ranch
- Supermarket savings, getting more from your store 31 min ago
- "X-Men" director accused of sex abuse in lawsuit
- Three WWII vets celebrate their birthdays
- Ordnance rendered safe; Solvang evacuations lifted
- Dinuba apartment manager arrested on forgery charges
- Valley cities among those where residents feel least safe
- Burglars steal firefighting tools from Forest Service
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos