Fresno State Bulldogs celebrate last regular home game for their seniors
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- It was a bittersweet day for the 19 seniors on Fresno State's football team. They were honored before taking the field at home for the final time in the regular season.
The Fresno State Bulldogs are 10 and 0, giving fans plenty to cheer about this season. More than 41,000 people packed bulldog stadium to witness the team's latest victory, including Shelley Wentworth.
Wentworth has been religiously coming to the games to watch her son, Austin, number 72, protect Derek Carr.
"I sometimes miss the plays because I watch my son so much," Wentworth said.
Austin is ready to graduate and the five years have gone by so fast for his mom and dad, though they say his college career has been spectacular.
"Bulldog stadium has been great to us. I'm glad they were finally able to sell it out three times this year. It's great to see how big the crowd can become," Wentworth said.
There are 19 seniors on this undefeated team, including Heisman hopeful, Derek Carr. Many of them are not from Valley but have made Fresno their second home.
The Tomas, who are from Sacramento, come to every game to cheer on their son, linebacker Jeremiah.
"It feels like we belong here in this place, the atmosphere is so loving and everybody come together," Jeremiah's mother Toi Toma said.
The players' parents say their sons couldn't have had a better final year on the field.
"They're undefeated. It's a great feeling, it's a successful feeling," Toma said.
"It's been a long time coming, and it's gone by very fast at the same time," Wentworth said.
The Tomas and the Wentworths say they are focused on the games ahead. After that, they are not sure what is next for their sons, but will always look back at the time they have spent at Fresno State.
fresno state, fresno state football, fresno state bulldogs, sports
- Merced PD looks for witnesses to deadly shooting 6 min ago
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- Ukrainians in Fresno react to Crimea vote
- LA police say no leads in abduction of 4 kids
- Fresno State men's basketball to play in CBI tourney 23 min ago
- Child may be to blame for Fresno garage fire
- Crash sends Fresno police car into canal
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- Merced police seek help to catch armed robber
- 2.8-magnitude earthquake hits Coalinga area
- Runners hit streets for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- Clovis sting busts adults buying alcohol for minors
- Magnitude-6.7 quake hits Chile's northern coast
- Oprah Winfrey to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago