Fresno State Bulldogs focus on Mountain West Championship game
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno State's loss to San Jose State Friday handed the Bulldogs their first loss this year and has ended the school's BCS dreams.
The teams 10 game winning streak was snapped by the Spartans and now the 'Dogs are shifting their focus to the Mountain West Championship game.
Thousands of Fresno's faithful packed the South Bay stadium to watch the Bulldogs take on the Spartans. The red waves' hopes of winning slipped away as San Jose pulled ahead and beat Fresno state by 10 points.
"It feels hollow, it feels like the big chance at the big bowl game just went away, but you know they had a good season and I think they will be pumped up for championship game," Fresno State fan Robert Zepeda said.
Valley fans believed the Bulldogs would finish the regular season undefeated, especially when the team appeared in position to take the lead heading into the second half.
In the end the 62-52 loss killed the team's chances of making a BCS bowl game.
"Kind of bummed out they lost because I was looking forward to going to the BCS game wherever they were going to play out he bowl game," Fresno State fan Shine Nieto said.
In fresno the mood at Riverpark's World Sports Café was low.
"I am very disappointed with the game. It's like real heartbreaking for me," fan Craig Martinez said.
Despite the Spartans' victory fans say this was one of the most entertaining and most watched seasons in years. Even after the defeat fans believe Coach Tim Deruyter and the team have a lot to be proud of.
"I mean Derrick Carr obviously, Isiah Burse but definitely all of them. But team effort we couldn't have done it without all of them," Fresno State fan Kelly Munoz said.
Fresno State will host the Mountain West championship game next Saturday at Bulldog Stadium. The team could be playing either Utah State or Boise State.
fresno state, fresno state football, fresno state bulldogs, sports, mariana jacob
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting 36 min ago
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera 11 min ago
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos