Sun Belt adding Georgia State for fall of 2013
The Sun Belt will add Georgia State Monday for the fall of 2013 in the first move by new commissioner Karl Benson to keep the conference in the chase for Division I relevance.The Sun Belt Conference will add Georgia State for the fall of 2013 on Monday in the first move by new commissioner Karl Benson to help in the conference's quest for Division I relevance.
The Sun Belt announced a conference call with the media for 4 p.m. ET Monday to announce the school's move from the Colonial Athletic Association.
Benson, who moved from the WAC commissioner's job to the Sun Belt, was en route to Atlanta on Sunday night for a news conference on Georgia State's campus.
"Everything is in place for Georgia State," Benson said. "This would give us 11 schools for football, 12 for all sports. This is all a part of our plan."
Benson has been on the other end of these conference raids with the WAC as the Mountain West poached a number of the conference's schools over the past two years.
Benson wouldn't speculate on what the Sun Belt would do next, but clearly there are potential options out there for the league.
The conference may become the aggressor in seeing what occurs with the MWC-Conference USA merger after C-USA lost four schools to the Big East.
Benson could also look to his former conference for possible schools. The WAC includes nearby Louisiana Tech and was set to add Texas State, UT-San Antonio and UT-Arlington.
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos