Good Sports: Justin Abel
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A North Valley teenager has become an overnight internet sensation by teaching skateboarding through simple YouTube videos. Skateboarding comes easy for 17-year-old Merced High senior Justin Abel who started skating at age 11.
"I thought it looked pretty cool," said Abel. "Just to see them control the board with no effort with their feet, and that's it."
But unlike most teenagers, Abel doesn't just skate well, he wants others to skate well around him and has become somewhat of a celebrity online for his teaching videos.
"People started commenting on my videos," said Abel, "liking it, watching it, getting thousands of views in days, and it just blew up from there."
Blew up is an understatement. Abel currently has more than 77,000 Twitter followers, not just from the Central Valley or California, but from across the country and around the world.
"I've actually had people send me messages and stuff from like Sweden and the Netherlands, other countries around the world," said Abel. "The Philippines, Malaysia, those are the ones I can remember right now."
And it's his impact on these thousands of people he's never even met that has him thankful to be doing what he loves.
"They tell me that I helped them out a lot with my videos," said Abel. "And sometimes they tell me that I inspire them. Which is pretty cool."
What is pretty cool is Abel's outlook on skating, and its possible effect on the way people live their lives.
"Well I just really like skating," explained Abel. "And I just want to show people that they can do whatever they want to do in their life. It doesn't matter who you are. As long as you love something it can turn into anything."
With words like that, expect those 77,000 Twitter followers to keep increasing one skating trick at a time.
merced, good news, good sports, david bataller
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe