Phelps Breaks a Gold Medal Record
Beijing, China -- Phelps won his 'fifth' gold medal of the Beijing games Wednesday morning. That gives him an Olympic record 11 career gold medals
Phelps is now the most successful Olympian of all time with a career total of 11 gold medals. Phelps brushed off a problem with his goggles that caused them to fill with water to win the 200 meter butterfly.
An hour later he was back in the pool with his team mates to win the men's 4x200 meter freestyle relay, knocking more than four seconds off the previous world record. His five gold medals in these games puts him within reach of Spitz's record seven gold's in one Olympics. In gymnastics, China crashed what was supposed to be a U.S. Olympic party. With the two best gymnasts in the world and the Olympic gold within their reach, the Americans made several mistakes on their last two events, costing them the victory.
China's team finished with a score two points ahead of the Americans in a blowout in a competition that was decided by the slimmest of margins. It was China's first gold in the team artistic gymnastics event, while the Americans earned the silver medal.
On the soccer field, Heather O'Reilly scored 40 seconds in to the game for the United States' during their match with New Zealand, leading them to a 4-0 victory and advancing them to the quarterfinals. The Americans won their group, avoiding a match with title contender Brazil and on the court, the U.S. men's basketball team continues to dominate beating Angola 97-76. Next up for the redeem team; Greece.
- Fresno State's new president has been selected
- Arsonist believed to be on the loose near Orange Cove
- Family rocked by a violent tragedy finds comfort
- Mother of convicted rapist attacks ABC30 camera
- Canned peaches may be as good for you as fresh ones 12 min ago
- Mild, dry weather helps California rice growers 10 min ago
- Two Fresno State students share their stories from Oklahoma
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- Xbox One to go on sale in late 2013
- 2016 Super Bowl to be played in 49ers' new stadium
- Crews race to find survivors of Oklahoma tornado
- Mysterious illness kills 2 in southeast Alabama
- Merced Co. may allow fireworks in unincorporated areas
- FUSD gives lessons on eating healthy
- Accuweather Forecast
30 min ago