Phelps Breaks a Gold Medal Record
Beijing, China -- Phelps won his 'fifth' gold medal of the Beijing games Wednesday morning. That gives him an Olympic record 11 career gold medals
Phelps is now the most successful Olympian of all time with a career total of 11 gold medals. Phelps brushed off a problem with his goggles that caused them to fill with water to win the 200 meter butterfly.
An hour later he was back in the pool with his team mates to win the men's 4x200 meter freestyle relay, knocking more than four seconds off the previous world record. His five gold medals in these games puts him within reach of Spitz's record seven gold's in one Olympics. In gymnastics, China crashed what was supposed to be a U.S. Olympic party. With the two best gymnasts in the world and the Olympic gold within their reach, the Americans made several mistakes on their last two events, costing them the victory.
China's team finished with a score two points ahead of the Americans in a blowout in a competition that was decided by the slimmest of margins. It was China's first gold in the team artistic gymnastics event, while the Americans earned the silver medal.
On the soccer field, Heather O'Reilly scored 40 seconds in to the game for the United States' during their match with New Zealand, leading them to a 4-0 victory and advancing them to the quarterfinals. The Americans won their group, avoiding a match with title contender Brazil and on the court, the U.S. men's basketball team continues to dominate beating Angola 97-76. Next up for the redeem team; Greece.
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Heart of the Horse is expanding
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Calwa Catholics mark Good Friday with procession
- Health Watch: depressed preschoolers?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos