Avenal native Jose Ramirez wins first match
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Avenal native and lightweight boxing medal contender Jose Ramirez overcame some early nerves to win his Olympic debut on Sunday.
The 19-year-old Ramirez won a close decision over 29-year-old Rachid Azzedine of France. 21-20 was the final point score, though Ramirez said after the match the score was closer than the fight.
Ramirez moves on to the round of 16 where he will fight Fazliddin Gaibnazarov of Uzbekistan.
2012 olympic games, london, olympic games, avenal, olympics
- Chelsea Clinton expecting 1st child
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Bloody suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000
- Texas seizes polygamist group's secluded ranch
- Supermarket savings, getting more from your store 21 min ago
- "X-Men" director accused of sex abuse in lawsuit
- Three WWII vets celebrate their birthdays
- Ordnance rendered safe; Solvang evacuations lifted
- Dinuba apartment manager arrested on forgery charges
- Valley cities among those where residents feel least safe
- Burglars steal firefighting tools from Forest Service
- 3 protesters killed in attack on Ukrainian base
- Gunmen attack Iraq military base, kill 10 soldiers
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos