Avenal native Jose Ramirez wins first match
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Avenal native and lightweight boxing medal contender Jose Ramirez overcame some early nerves to win his Olympic debut on Sunday.
The 19-year-old Ramirez won a close decision over 29-year-old Rachid Azzedine of France. 21-20 was the final point score, though Ramirez said after the match the score was closer than the fight.
Ramirez moves on to the round of 16 where he will fight Fazliddin Gaibnazarov of Uzbekistan.
2012 olympic games, london, olympic games, avenal, olympics
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Fresno State to play USC Las Vegas Bowl
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- Rain could pose threat to Valley orange crops 3 min ago
- Toys for Tots Marathon Weekend 2013
- Low elevation snow catches some off guard
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Man wanted for shooting near Fresno ice rink arrested
- Fresno State defeats Utah State 24-17
- Train hits pedestrian and dog in Central Fresno
- HWY 41 opens near Tenaya Lodge after closed due to snow 32 min ago
- Video: Mountain communities wake up to snow
- Nelson Mandela family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Reindeer escapes from Santa at Colorado mall
- Rain could pose threat to Central Valley...
47 min ago