Avenal native Jose Ramirez wins first match
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Avenal native and lightweight boxing medal contender Jose Ramirez overcame some early nerves to win his Olympic debut on Sunday.
The 19-year-old Ramirez won a close decision over 29-year-old Rachid Azzedine of France. 21-20 was the final point score, though Ramirez said after the match the score was closer than the fight.
Ramirez moves on to the round of 16 where he will fight Fazliddin Gaibnazarov of Uzbekistan.
2012 olympic games, london, olympic games, avenal, olympics
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Vigil held for slain Parlier football coach
- 8 kids, 4 adults involved in SW Fresno crash
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Visalia man accused of sexual conduct with boy
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- States sue over California's egg laws
- Visalia school unveils new solar structures
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- 7 health apps you need to know about
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos