Missy Franklin wins gold for U.S. in 100M backstroke
LONDON -- American teenager Missy Franklin won the women's 100-meter backstroke at the London Olympics on Monday.
Franklin won the two-lap race in 58.33 seconds for her first Olympic gold and second medal after taking bronze in the 4x100 freestyle relay.
Emily Seebohm of Australia touched in 58.68 to take the silver medal and Aya Terakawa of Japan finished in 58.83 to take bronze.
Franklin swam little more than 10 minutes after taking the eighth and final qualifying spot in the 200 freestyle semifinals.
2012 olympic games, olympics
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight 52 min ago
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate SoCal hospital attacks 44 min ago
- Sikh community celebrates Vaisakhi in Caruthers
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Grim work for families as more bodies discovered 39 min ago
- 7,000 Easter eggs rain down from helicopter
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
- Prizefighter Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Health Watch: 5 clues to Alzheimer's 59 min ago