Women's BMX Cycling Olympic results
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Spoiler Alert: Women's BMX Cycling Olympic results -- with Brooke Crain from Visalia
Brooke Crain finishes 8th in Women's BMX
Valley Olympian Brooke Crain from Visalia, California finish 8th overall in Women's BMX Cycling -- 2.58 seconds behind the gold medal winner Mariana Pajon of Colombia. Crain was the only rider from the U.S. to make the final round.
Pajon, the flagbearer for her country during the opening ceremony, led from the start on the challenging course. Sarah Walker of New Zealand claimed silver, and Laura Smulders of the Netherlands took bronze.
Crain had moved up to the U.S. Olympic Team after teammate Arielle Martin suffered serious injuries in a bike crash last week during a training session.
During the seeding round on Wednesday, Brooke crashed on the last lap of the race. She had the wind knocked out of her and suffered a bruised thigh. She was able to recover for Friday's semifinal race.
In Friday's semifinal race, one of the gold medal favorites Squel Stein of Brazil crashed and was taken from the course on a stretcher. Stein fell off her bike after she landed on the grass following a big jump in the first half of the course. The 21-year-old Stein secured her best result in a major competition earlier this year when she reached the world championships final.
2012 olympic games, olympics
- Juvenile seriously injured in Planada shooting 1 min ago
- Helicopter crashes while warming citrus grove
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- Freeze affects Valley's $1.5 billion citrus industry
- Truck driver pinned while making delivery in Fresno
- Pulmonary Rehab: Healing with music 51 min ago
- Derek Carr not on Heisman Trophy finalist list
- Surviving the mall's food court
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face US charges
- Selma High grad, Bobby Cox, elected to Hall of Fame
- 3 cars and FAX bus involved in crash
- Hanford man found dead inside a car in Armona
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Fresno man
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Pulmonary Rehab: Healing with music
56 min ago