Brooke Crain finishes 8th in Women's BMX
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Valley Olympian Brooke Crain from Visalia, California finish 8th overall in Women's BMX Cycling -- 2.58 seconds behind the gold medal winner Mariana Pajon of Colombia. Crain was the only rider from the U.S. to make the final round.
Pajon, the flagbearer for her country during the opening ceremony, led from the start on the challenging course. Sarah Walker of New Zealand claimed silver, and Laura Smulders of the Netherlands took bronze.
Crain had moved up to the U.S. Olympic Team after teammate Arielle Martin suffered serious injuries in a bike crash last week during a training session. She has been riding in the Olympic games with the initials of her injured teammate on the palm of her left glove.
During the seeding round on Wednesday, Brooke crashed on the last lap of the race. She had the wind knocked out of her and suffered a bruised thigh. She was able to recover for Friday's semifinal race.
In Friday's semifinal race, one of the gold medal favorites Squel Stein of Brazil crashed and was taken from the course on a stretcher. Stein fell off her bike after she landed on the grass following a big jump in the first half of the course. The 21-year-old Stein secured her best result in a major competition earlier this year when she reached the world championships final.
The Associated Press contributed to this report
2012 olympic games, olympics
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Search resumes for missing Malaysian jetliner
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified 49 min ago
- Fresno teen with cystic fibrosis to get lung transplant 29 min ago
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals 57 min ago
- Fresno teen with cystic fibrosis to get...
34 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos