Brooke Crain finishes 8th in Women's BMX
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Valley Olympian Brooke Crain from Visalia, California finish 8th overall in Women's BMX Cycling -- 2.58 seconds behind the gold medal winner Mariana Pajon of Colombia. Crain was the only rider from the U.S. to make the final round.
Pajon, the flagbearer for her country during the opening ceremony, led from the start on the challenging course. Sarah Walker of New Zealand claimed silver, and Laura Smulders of the Netherlands took bronze.
Crain had moved up to the U.S. Olympic Team after teammate Arielle Martin suffered serious injuries in a bike crash last week during a training session. She has been riding in the Olympic games with the initials of her injured teammate on the palm of her left glove.
During the seeding round on Wednesday, Brooke crashed on the last lap of the race. She had the wind knocked out of her and suffered a bruised thigh. She was able to recover for Friday's semifinal race.
In Friday's semifinal race, one of the gold medal favorites Squel Stein of Brazil crashed and was taken from the course on a stretcher. Stein fell off her bike after she landed on the grass following a big jump in the first half of the course. The 21-year-old Stein secured her best result in a major competition earlier this year when she reached the world championships final.
The Associated Press contributed to this report
2012 olympic games, olympics
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- The Red Wave hits the road
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Police search for suspects who shot a Fresno teacher
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes 57 min ago
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- Accuweather Forecast
56 min ago
- Fresno State program gets students...
57 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos