Varner of Bakersfield wins Olympic wrestling gold
LONDON -- Jake Varner of the United States won the Olympic wrestling gold in men's 96-kilogram freestyle, beating Valerii Andriitsev of Ukraine 1-0, 1-0 Sunday.
The win gave the U.S. team multiple Olympic gold-medal winners in men's wrestling for the first time since 1996. Varner joins Jordan Burroughs, who won the 74-kilogram freestyle on Friday night, as Olympic champions.
Varner will also collect a $250,000 bonus from the Living the Dream Medal Fund that supports American wrestling.
2012 olympic games, olympics
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- 2-year-old shot in the thigh in Atwater
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- NorCal teen brain-dead after tonsil surgery
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room fight
- Wheels of Hope awards Valley family a new car
- 3 men die in sauna after drinking at Christmas party
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Teen shot on Third St. and Kadota Ave in Atwater
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos