Varner of Bakersfield wins Olympic wrestling gold
LONDON -- Jake Varner of the United States won the Olympic wrestling gold in men's 96-kilogram freestyle, beating Valerii Andriitsev of Ukraine 1-0, 1-0 Sunday.
The win gave the U.S. team multiple Olympic gold-medal winners in men's wrestling for the first time since 1996. Varner joins Jordan Burroughs, who won the 74-kilogram freestyle on Friday night, as Olympic champions.
Varner will also collect a $250,000 bonus from the Living the Dream Medal Fund that supports American wrestling.
2012 olympic games, olympics
- 5.7 earthquake strikes northeast of Chico
- BBQ101 at Caruthers High School
- Parlier homicide victim identified as Francisco Esquivel-Lucio
- Maldonado family sues Fresno over underground bike path
- Fire destroys the Oakhurst Lodge
- Fresno Police looking for robbery suspect
- Bicyclist hit by big rig in Madera County
- Jurors deadlock on Jodi Arias penalty
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- Man allegedly downloads child porn at McDonald's
- Obama defends drone strikes but says no cure-all
- Crisis Map of Moore, Oklahoma Tornado Damage
- 4 arrested after exchanging gunfire with police
- Yellow Jacket iPhone stun gun case