Varner of Bakersfield wins Olympic wrestling gold
LONDON -- Jake Varner of the United States won the Olympic wrestling gold in men's 96-kilogram freestyle, beating Valerii Andriitsev of Ukraine 1-0, 1-0 Sunday.
The win gave the U.S. team multiple Olympic gold-medal winners in men's wrestling for the first time since 1996. Varner joins Jordan Burroughs, who won the 74-kilogram freestyle on Friday night, as Olympic champions.
Varner will also collect a $250,000 bonus from the Living the Dream Medal Fund that supports American wrestling.
2012 olympic games, olympics
- Authorities investigate a shooting in Madera County 45 min ago
- Los Angeles police arrest man in severed head case 46 min ago
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Cornell president named new head of Smithsonian
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Man holds out atop roof of San Diego FBI building
- Toddler uses FaceTime to help mom after dog bite
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed