Amber Alert: Dad shoots mom, takes boys
6/15/2008 SUNLAND-TUJUNGA -- Los Angeles Police activated the Amber Alert system to help find a man and two little sons, after the man shot his estranged wife in front of the kids in a north Los Angeles neighborhood Sunday.
Jose Luis Ortega, 27, is believed to possibly be fleeing toward Mexico in a 1998 black Ford Ranger pickup truck, with California license 7Z19738, said Los Angeles Police Officer Karen Smith.
Police said the mother was apparently dropping off the two boys at their father's house in the 10400 block of McBroom Street around 10:45 a.m. when the former couple got into an argument and Ortega allegedly shot the mother, said Smith. Ortega then fled with the children.
The woman, whose name was not immediately available, suffered multiple gunshot wounds and remains in serious condition, Smith said.
An Amber Alert for the boys, identified as 3-year-old Luis Gonzalo Ortega and 5-year-old Diego Fabian Ortega, was issued about two hours later due to lack of cooperation from the suspect's family, police said.
Diego is 5 years old and was last seen wearing a blue and green checkered shirt, blue jeans and white shoes. Luis is 3 years old. The toddler was last seen wearing a red checkered shirt and white shoes.
According to police, their father is described as a male, Hispanic, black hair, brown eyes, approximately 5 feet 6 inches tall, 180 pounds and has a medium build and a light complexion.
If contacted, Ortega is to be considered armed and dangerous.
Anyone with information regarding the whereabouts of Diego, Luis and Jose is asked to call 911. For any additional information, please contact Foothill Division Detectives at (818) 756-8861.
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested
- Salmon moved on the San Joaquin River
- 59 Days of Code competition encouraging developers
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Bloody suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel in the works?
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000
- Drought intensifying pest problems on farms
- Chelsea Clinton expecting 1st child
- Texas seizes polygamist group's secluded ranch
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos